At Finch Woods Academy, we have a careers programme in place that ensures you are well equipped for the future and have the information you need to make realistic and informed decisions about further education, training and employment.
When you leave school at 16 years old, you are likely to have some or all of the following options available to you depending on your ability, independence and support needs.
Watch this short video that explains some of your options:
This may be at a college or training provider to study vocational courses like BTECs / T Levels or academic courses like A Levels.
An apprenticeship is a way to gain the skills, knowledge and experience you need to get into many careers. They combine work, training, study and you get paid! Apprenticeships are available across a range of areas. Search for apprenticeships on GOV.UK and Be More.
Traineeships are usually a 6 month programme made up of extended work experience working towards qualifications. A traineeship will normally lead to an apprenticeship or work. Further information can be found here.
Supported Internships are a study programme for learners with Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs). Learners will have a work placement and complete relevant qualifications alongside their placement. Click here for more information about Liverpool's Supported Internship programme.
Watch these videos to help you understand Supported Internships:
Curriculum Vitae's & Personal Statements
When searching for and applying for any job, it is important to provide an updated CV and accompanying Personal Statement to potential employers.
Key Stage 3 Careers Tasks
No matter how far away you are from formally choosing your next steps following school, it's never too early to begin to think about the types of skills and competencies that will be required in your future job.
Have a go at these tasks to help you think about these:
Key Stage 4 Careers Tasks
If searching for jobs is around the corner for you, have a go at this task to help you think about the types of skills and competencies you may include in your CV:
Useful Contacts, Websites & Resources
- The school Careers Leader, Mrs Carroll, offers impartial advice and guidance working with pupils from Year 7 through to Year 11. To contact or book an appointment email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact a qualified Careers Advisor via text / phone or webchat to discuss careers, courses and finding a job
- Nursing careers | Health Careers - Nursing career information- roles, perks and application
- 16 to 19 education: financial support for students - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) - Financial Support and Entitlement Information for Year 11 pupils
- The National Careers Service - Information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work
- FutureLearn Careers - Find a career that matches your education and skills
- The Pay Index - Information relating to options after leaving school, the gender pay gap and more
- Youth Employment UK - 'Preparing for Your Future' online course (ages 14 to 16)
- GoCompare - UK's riskiest jobs
- Moving through Education into Employment Career
- Preparing for Adulthood Navigation Careers
- IBM Apprenticeships Webinar- 'Early Proffesional Opportunities' 17/10/23 6.30-7.30pm Register here
- Dentons- 'Life as a solicitor apprentice at the world's largest law firm' 21/11/23 6.30-7.30pm Register here
- ACCA- 'Careers in Business Expo 2023' 6/12/23 (Online) 08:30-17:30 Book your free ticket here
- Jaguar Land Rover opportunities - Become a Parts Advisor, Customer Service Advisor or Service Technician
- Work for the UK's largest automative manufacturer,
- Receive a professional qualification, and,
- Earn a competitive salary!
- Volkswagen Opportunities - Become a Customer Service Apprentice:
- Work for some of the UK's largest car retailers like Audi, Bentley, SEAT & Volkswagen,
- Begin your careers in vehicle manufacturing, and;
- Earn while you learn!
- Become a part of the sales team at some of UK's largest car retailers like Audi, Bentley, SEAT & Volkswagen,
- Develop life skills such as communication, team work, leadership and management.
- Waterside Training Apprenticeship Vacancies - Details of available apprenticeships commencing September 2023
- National Saturday Club- Free Saturday Clubs for 13–16 year old's at your local university, college or cultural institution
- CSI School- 2 hour sessions learning all about CSI & Forensic Science, suitable for 7-13 year old's
The City of Liverpool CollegeEvents and Open Days - The City of Liverpool College (liv-coll.ac.uk)- Liverpool College Open days
Events • Greenbank College - Liverpool- Greenbank College Open Days
Open Evening Dates - Riverside College Widnes & Runcorn- Riverside College Open Days
Open Mornings and Events | Myerscough College- Myerscough College Course Advise Days
- Events | Hugh Baird College- Open Days (Pupils and Parents can book individual appoints to visit)
- What Career Live - Opportunity to meet some of the UK's top employers and universities